Barnard Camp-Holly House
Collection Scope and Content Summary
Boxes 1-3 contain various documents, brochures, and maps related to Barnard Camp. This includes (but is not limited to) annual camp reports, board minutes, fund raising records, correspondence, inventories, policies, precedence reports, and schedules. Folders are arranged alphabetically.
Boxes 4-6 contain scrapbooks of photos from Barnard Camp weekends. The earliest photos were taken in 1928, before Barnard acquired a permanent camp. The photos continue through to the late 1940s/early 1950s.
Boxes 7-10 contain logs of Barnard Camp’s June Leadership Courses from 1934-1940, 1943, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, and 1953. These annual logs served as journals of the June Course experiences, providing camper names, lighthearted (and often illustrated) daily diaries, songs, photographs, meal lists, and humorous anecdotes about the campers.
Box 10 also contains license plates used by the Barnard Athletics Department van.
Box 11 contains guest books from 1934-1980. In these books, Barnard Camp visitors would record their names, addresses, dates stayed at camp, graduating classes, and remarks on their stays. This box also contains a blank leather booklet with a picture of a bear on the cover.
Box 12 contains photographs and architectural renderings of the camp.
Box 13 contains miscellaneous negatives and Holly House slides.
Box 14 contains DAB [Dorothy A Braumeck?] '36, "Roads and Trails in the Vicinity of Barnard Camp of Barnard College Westchester Caunty, New York" c. 1936
- Creation: 1927 - 1980
This collection has no restrictions. This collection is located on-site.
Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Barnard College Archives. The Barnard College Archives approves permission to publish that which it physically owns; the responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Reproductions can be made for research purposes.
In the early 1920s, students began spending weekends at various campsites, hoping for some time away from the pressures of New York City. With the success of these weekends, many people began petitioning for a permanent camp that the college could call its own. Barnard alumnae eventually raised enough money to purchase ten acres of land in Westchester County, only 36 miles from the college itself.
Barnard Camp’s formal opening took place on October 15, 1933, quickly becoming a popular weekend destination for students and alumnae alike. Visitors stayed in a cabin where they cooked their own meals, pumped their own water, and slept in bunk beds in stove-heated rooms. During its early years, students could take part in the annual June Camp Training Course, where six students each from the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes could learn various leadership skills. Some June course participants would then be chosen to become members of Barnard’s camp committee, helping plan camp weekends.The camp grew to 20 acres of land in 1938 after an additional alumnae purchase. In 1964, honoring the retirement of Physical Education Department chairman Margaret Holland, Barnard Camp’s cabin was officially named “Holly House”.
Camp popularity began to fade by the mid 1950s, with the 1961-1962 camp report stating that “apparently few are interested in spending a weekend of group living with girls, especially when there are chores and some discomfort”. In response, the camp committee attempted to modernize its facilities; however, the college’s budget meant that the plan was not feasible for the time being. Other difficulties also may have detracted students in following years, such as a problem with stray dogs on a neighboring property in 1974. Barnard Camp was sold in 1992, though the reason why is not entirely clear. Barnard Archive’s collection contains materials from the camp’s initial planning and fundraising through 1980, twelve years before the camp was sold.
14 Linear Feet (14 boxes)
This collection consists of reports, minutes, correspondence, handbooks, ledgers, scrapbooks, watercolors, photographs, and films documenting activities at Barnard Camp-Holly House, a campsite in Westchester County owned by Barnard college from 1933-1992. The camp provided weekend retreats to Barnard students and alumnae.
Collection is unprocessed and order is not apparent.
This collection is located in the Barnard Archives and Special Collections, Barnard Library. To use this collection, please contact the Barnard Archives and Special Collections at 212.854.4079 or email@example.com
Unknown donations and donation from Marjorie Lange in 2021.
No additions are expected.
This collection was processed and the finding aid written by Marcia Bassett and Stephanie Mannheim BC ’14. Finding aid written by Stephanie Mannheim in July 2011 and updated by Martha Tenney in July 2021.
Descriptive Rules Used: Finding aid adheres to that prescribed by Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Encoding: Machine readable finding aid encoded in EAD 2002.
Finding aid written in English.
- Guide to Barnard Camp-Holly House
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description