Collection Scope and Content Summary
The collection consists of 22 items. The Collection inclides oil paintings, prints, and photographs as follows: Portrait of Gabriela Mistral (1971); photograph of clouds over Hudson River; Biography by Lonnie Sue Johnson (1950); German Department sign by Judith Gilbert; Sphinx by Naomi Savage; Family Album by Marie Sturkan; Barnard Poster with Big Apple motif (ca. 1990); Autograph portrait of Twyla Tharp; Black and white photo of unidentified man; Oil painting by Natalia Dumitresco; Woman Bathing Child print by A.D. Gardiner; Map of Columbia University by Marie Leis (1935); Folly or Saintliness lithograph by Jose Echegaray (1895); 4 Japanese prints; Portrait of Professor Wilhelm Braun; Painting of a Harbor by Dimitris Grammatikopulos (1972); Portrait of Isaac Railton by John Opie (ca. 1800); Portrait of Delphine Brown (ca. 1890); Mission at Santa Barbara by E.J. Kahn (1950).
- 1800 - 1990
This collection has no restrictions. This collection is located on-site.
Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Barnard College Archives. The Barnard College Archives approves permission to publish that which it physically owns; the responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes.
11.12 Linear Feet
This collection consists of oil paintings, prints, and photographs related to Barnard College.
Collection is unprocessed and order is not apparent.
This collection is located in the Barnard Archives and Special Collections, Barnard Library. To use this collection, please contact the Barnard Archives and Special Collections at 212.854.4079 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The acquisition date and source is unknown.
No additions are expected.
This collection is unprocessed.
Descriptive Rules Used: Finding aid adheres to that prescribed by Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Encoding: Machine readable finding aid encoded in EAD 2002.
Finding aid written in English.
- framed legion of merit medal presented to Jean T. Palmer
- Honorary Membership in the Alumnae Association of Barnard College certificate and translation
- Photocopy of map of Columbia University by Marie Leis, 1935
- watercolor rendering by Fritz Steffens of a proposed building on Barnard campus by McKim, Mead and White, architects
- Sign painted on wood: "German Department, Barnard College" by Judith Gilbert
- Sketch, "Brooks and Hewitt Halls (the College Dormitories)" by Frederick W. Capon, 1934
- Sketch of Brooks and Hewitt Halls by F.S., 1924
- Photo of Brooks living room by Norman McGrath, 1983
- Blueprint, "Roof of Milbank Hall/ for laying out new greenhouse" by J.J.S. 11/20/29
- Framed athletic emblems, circa 1931-1934
- Athletic awards "Given by the Department of Physical Education" ca. 1941-1944
- Athletic "Honor Awards," circa 1948
- Proclamation signed by the Mayor of New York City, Robert F. Wagner, declaring the month of October 1964 "Barnard College Month"
- Photograph of Bernard M. Baruch inscribed to Helen Reid, 6/47
- Photograph of Herbert Hoover to Mrs. Ogden Reid
- Framed announcement of the inauguration of Jacquelyn Anderson Mattfeld, 11/5/76
- "Map of Barnard Camp" by Hortense Block
- Signed Proclamation from the Office of the Council President of the City of New York on occasion of Barnard College Centennial, 4/5/89
- "Special Award for Extraordinary Service" presented to Irma Socci Moore by President Marie Louise Reid of the Associate Alumnae on 5/18/90
- Barnard Medal of Distinction certificate presented to Professor Mirra Komarovsky, 5/17/83
- Watercolor of Holly House by MAG, 1933
- Barnard College class of 1963 25th reunion announcement, May 1988
- Newspaper article on wooden tablet by Helen Reid entitled from "From One Publisher to Another...," The New York Post, 11/9/52
- black and white reproduction of oil portrait by Lester Bentley of Virginia C. Gildersleeve
- Award presented to Barbara I. Horowitz '55 and Gedale B. Horowitz, Barnard's first National Scholars, signed by President Ellen V. Futter, 11/23/82
- Framed lithograph, “Old Postman’s Cottage, Alciston, Sussex, formerly owned by Miss Virginia Gildersleeve, Dean of Barnard College, New York City.” n.d.
- Gouache rendering: aerial view of Barnard College by Peter M. Gumple, 1963. Mounted and framed. 24” x 34”.
- Gouache rendering: 343 Madison Avenue by Peter M. Gumple, 1963. Mounted and framed. 24” x 34”.
- Gouache rendering: Milbank Hall, tennis courts, and north end of the Jungle by Peter M. Gumple, 1963. Mounted and framed. 24” x 34”.
- Announcement of decision to form Barnard College
- Announcement of decision to form Barnard College and list of Trustees and Associate Members of the College, 1889.
- National Order of the Legion of Honor presented to Virginia C. Gildersleeve by the République Française, 5/5/47
- Award presented to Virginia C. Gildersleeve for her service in the Judicial Council of New York State, 2/21/38.
- Wooden plaque, “Spirit of Achievement Award,” presented to Mrs. Ogden Mills Reid (Helen Reid) by the Women’s Division of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1957.
- Athletic Association plaque honoring seniors, “A gift of Professor Agnes R. Wayman,” 1929-1965.
- Sphinx, "embossed/raised white paper" by Naomi Savage. signed, #2/50
- Family Album, lithograph, by Maria Sturken signed, #2/30
- Biography, lithography by Lonni Sue Johnson
- Two prints/lithographs by same artist, signature unidentifiable. Both in gold frames and depciting babies and adults in adults in the ocean/water. Both are signed and numbered. One is numbered 178/195 and measures 41.5x37"; the other is numbered 68/75 and measures 32x42"
- Harbor Scene, print/lithograph, 1972 by Dimitris Grammatikopulos
- A House By the Lake, oil painting by E. Andrews. Sticker on back: Mrs.Roger H. Andrews/85 Valley Terrace/Port Chester, NY
- "Mother and Children at Beach", print by "Gardinere, Aliya D." #16/50
- Described as "Black and white photograph of a cloudy day on the Hudson River" no known date or photographer
- "Laedert Sanders Portrait", Aeckerlaeck, J.V., 1662 oil painting
- "Full length portrait of Virginia Gildersleeve"" Brownell, Matilda"1919
- Landscape, Andrews, E., watercolor,sticker on back: prop. of Roger Andrews, etc., 29 7/8 x 24 1/2"
- "Portrait of Helena Teeckemannes Sanders" Aeckerlaeck, J.V. 1662
- "Santa Barbara Mission" "Kahn, Ely Jacques", 1950 watercolor
- Untitled "Oil" (?); "Dumitresco, Natalia" painting, 1956
- "Portrait of Millicent McIntosh" Clemems (?), oil painting
- Portrait of Isaac Railton Opie, John 1761-1806 oil painting
- Gravel Pitt, Kaplan, Joseph gouache
- Pearl Craigie Tablet by Alfred Drury, 1908
- "Portrait of Delphine Brown" oil painting
- Framed Japanese print of scene of ten figures; 18.5” x 28.75”.
- Black and white photograph of a cloudy day on the Hudson River
- “Street in Saint Petersport”, Watercolor by Anna Richards Brewster, 1899
- Painting of harbour by Dimitris Grammatikopulos, 1972
- Japanese print of scene of two figures; 30.63” x 16.75”
- Oil portrait of Professor Wilhelm Braun
- Watercolor on silk [flowering trees/water scene], artist unknown, n.d
- Hand-colored etching, 'The Nightingale Lark & Linnets', book plates #85-86.
- "centennial women" oil painting by Joyce Kaiser 2000
- Guide to Barnard College Art Collections
- In Progress
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script